Ancient names: choose a beautiful name for the child. The meaning and origin of the ancient Russian names
The question of how to name a child isfuture parents long before the appearance of the long-awaited baby. Not only the parents themselves are often involved in the matter of choice. Grandparents, aunts and uncles join in, maybe even friends. Everyone must certainly express their views. Mom wants the child to bear the name of a beloved grandmother or grandfather, but the father insists that the name be beautiful, solid, like the famous people of cinema, sports. Grandmothers insist on holy Slavic names, grandfathers can offer something quite original or out of the ordinary. The list of names is now just huge. Foreign names, names of celebrities are very popular, sometimes even the nicknames of fictional characters of computer games. But no matter how sweet they were not specifically for the parents, it is still necessary to follow certain recommendations before calling your child for a long life.
A few binding tips
- The name should not be too complicated. It is not easy at all if it is difficult to pronounce or too long. It is in the best interest of the child. Agree, a lot will bring difficulties in kindergarten and primary school, if the child can not properly introduce himself ...
- Several caressing and dimming modificationsname is a good solution. The baby should have several variants of the name. The first is that it can be accessed formally (at school and with strangers), the second for friends, the third for parents.
- Notice how the name will be combinedwith a middle name. It is also important to look at the initials (they may not be quite beautiful, politically correct, aesthetic, and this can cause a lot of inconvenience). For the boy, choose a name from which in the future you can form a beautiful patronymic.
- Do not call the child the most common name. Often encountered combinations cut the hearing and do not attach personality features, charm.
- Confusion can arise if the child is wearing a name like Zhenya, Sasha and the like. The child's gender identity should be visible immediately, although this is not an obligatory item for implementation.
- A bad omen is to give the child the name of deceased relatives. In many national traditions this is considered a bad sign. A child can repeat the fate of this person.
History of Slavic names
Now, the vintageSlavic names. However, many Russian names, which are widely spoken by everyone, are not of Slavic origin. A large number are borrowed from the Greek language, Latin. Initially, Russian names were similar in meaning to any qualities and characteristics of a person (Birch, Cat, Lesser, Wolf). With the introduction of Christianity in Russia at the end of the first millennium, gradual replacement of primordially Russian names occurred. They were mixed with Byzantine church names. In addition to Byzantine, there were also Hebrew, Egyptian, Roman, Syrian nicknames. All of them were not a simple set of letters, they indicated some specific qualities.
By the middle of the 19th century, all names had changedimage, transformed into then Russian pronunciation. Thus, Jeremiah became Eremee, and Diomid turned into Demid. In connection with the new ideology in the beginning of the 20th century, names began to appear that reflected the time of industrialization: Diamar, Revmira. Also, the names of characters from foreign novels were borrowed: Arnold, Alfred, Rudolph, Lilia. In 1930-1950, a rapid return to real Russian names began (Sergei, Maria, Vladimir, Ilya). The ancient names of the Russian people are popular not only in Russia. A lot of Russian names are worn by Europeans and Canadaans.
Does the name determine the destiny of a person?
In Russia it was customary to give the child two names.The first was intended for everyone around, the second was secret, only the closest people knew him. Thus, according to legend, protection from evil eyes, evil thoughts and spirits was provided. Evil forces did not know the name-key to a person (that is, his real church name), thus, could not do any harm. After reaching adolescence, it was possible to judge the character traits of a person. Then a name was given, starting from such a list:
- Names of deities: Yarylo, Lada.
- Names of plants, animals: Wolf, Nut, Eagle, Pike.
- Names from the category of qualities of personality: Stoyan, Brave.
- Two-part names: Mirolyub, Dobrozhir, Dobrynya, Yaropolk.
What are the most popular Slavic old names for boys?
The ancient names of boys are quite populara topic for discussion in the Runet in 2013 and early 2014. According to the average calculations for the cities of Russia, names such as Stepan, Bogdan and Makar are rapidly gaining popularity from the old Russian names. In addition, this top included the old names: Elisha, Miroslav, Gordei, Nazar, Rodion, Tikhon. The most unusual name for boys is Almaz.
How to name the boy?
If you want to bring your child to naturecharacteristic features, then check out the list of the most popular Slavic names. Perhaps, this information will be the most important for you to choose the name of the child. The ancient names of boys and their meanings:
- great glory - Borislav;
- the divine world - Bogumir;
- dear - Budimil;
- friend of glory - Bratislava;
- fierce - Beloyar;
- the ruler of the world - Vlastimir;
- famous - Vseslav;
- glorious - Vyacheslav;
- thinking - Daromysl;
- giving good - Daromir;
- giving peace - Damir;
- the clear sky is Esenius;
- gold glory - Zlatoslav;
- together with the glory - Izhoslav;
- beautiful world - Krasomir;
- in the rays of glory Lucheslav;
- glorifying love - Luboslav;
- loving world - Lubomir;
- glorious - Miloslav;
- going ahead of glory - Pereslav;
- rejoicing - Radimir;
- illuminated by light - Svetozar;
- quiet glory - Tikhoslav;
- pacification - Umir;
- color of the world - Tsvetomir;
- shining with glory - Yaroslav.
What are the most popular Slavic names for girls?
As you know, the statistics knows everything. So, she identified the most popular Slavic ancient women's names in 2013. They became such ancient nicknames like Alain, Darina, Dana, Hope, Rostislav, Snezhana, Yaromila. Girls are much more often called ancient Slavic names than boys.
How to name a girl?
And now get acquainted with the list of the most popular Slavic women's names. Ancient names and their meanings:
- given by God - Bogdan;
- happy - Blessed;
- praising - Wanda;
- owns the glory - Vladislav;
- acting - Good;
- given by the god - Darina;
- peace-loving - Ladomir;
- beauty - Krasomira;
- Radiant - Radiant;
- dear - Militsa;
- forest - Olesya;
- glorious - Rostislav;
- snow - Snezhana;
- young - Yaromila.
Slavic ancient Russian names to the child by the time of the year
Character can affect not only the datebirth, but also the corresponding time of year. Astrologers claim that you can correct the fate and traits of the character with the correct name. Ancient Russian names endowed with millennial knowledge of ancestors, they have a special meaning.
Serious and talented autumn children do not need to choose a special name. They can choose either a soft or a hard name.
Winter children are intolerant, quick-tempered, they have a certain amount of selfishness. Preferred are light names, soft and tender. Ancient names with a soft foundation can balance character traits.
Spring children have a sharp mind, they are self-critical and impermanent. They often have a great sense of humor. You should stop choosing the hard-sounding names.
Summer children are easily influenced, they are trusting and easy to climb. Therefore, it is better to stop your choice on solid names.
The meaning of the name according to the Orthodox calendar
Selecting an old Russian name for the child, it follows thatpay attention to tradition. And the Orthodox principles say that it is necessary to name a newborn in honor of a saint. Whose memory is celebrated on the day of naming by the name (most often this is the eighth day after birth) - this is the name of the baby. Consider that the days of the memory of saints are marked by the old style. Therefore, to determine the correct date, you must add 13 to the main date. The calendar of the celebration of the name day of the Orthodox saints and all the ancient names can now be seen in the Svyattsy, learn from the confessors and in any other sources.
It is not necessary that the name for the child beexotic or rare. You can not choose the old names. The decisive role is played by euphony. For the final selection make a list of the best names, consult with family and friends, find out their opinion. Based on all this, choose exactly what you like.